Thursday, November 29, 2007

John's Quicky NFL Thursday Night Pick

I'll be back on Friday with a full slate of NFL picks, but I just thought I'd sneak in my quick Thursday night NFL pick before one of the biggest games of the season — which, of course, won't be available in the great majority of households.

GREEN BAY @ DALLAS
As always, when two ginormous entities fight (in this case, the NFL and cable companies), we lose. Unless, you work for a cable company, in which case you're part of the problem.

But I'm not going to go on some long rant about how the NFL is crazy for asking cable companies to pay almost twice as much to carry the NFL Network as they pay for carrying channels people actually use every day (like CNN) as opposed to four months out of the year. I kina like that cable (who is not blameless and also trying to save the most $$$ it possibly can get out of the deal) is standing up to the big bad NFL which pretty much always gets its way (like when it pretty much ordered ESPN to cancel "Playmakers" a FICTIONAL drama series that made pro football players look bad.

So, no — I'm definitely not going to rant about that (it's too late, isn't it?) Bottom line: the NFL people are idiots if they think people are going to just magically decide they NEED the NFL Network because one important game happens to be on it (last year's NFL contests were complete duds). Personally, I'll just watch the highlights on Sportscenter, like I do with 85% of the other games on Sundays. And if really wants to see this game, they can go to a sports bar or easily mooch off a pal who's got the NFL Network.

Oh yeah, the game! I like Green Bay on the road. I'm tired of underestimating the Packers this year and being wrong. I think their defense is the best Tony Romo and the Cowboys will see this year (yes, even better than New England's), and I like Brett Favre (pictured, right) to guide this young, exciting and impressive team, who is 14-1(!) in it last 15 games to a mini-upset. Also, Tony Romo (pictured, left) has been recently linked to Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears (think he has a type?), since breaking up with Carrie Underwood. I don't know who Favre is married to, but advantage Favre.

Oh well, at least if I'm wrong, no one will really know since no one's gonna be able to watch the damn game.

No comments: