Friday, November 30, 2007

To Buy or Not To Buy: Season 6 of "24"

The following internal debate took place between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

***SPOILER ALERT*** for those who haven't seen Season 6 of "24".

To buy: So you know Season 6 of "24" is coming out on Tuesday. You're picking it up, right?
Not to buy: Eh, I'm not so sure.
To buy: Really?! This from the guy who once put Jack Bauer at the top of his list of TV crushes.
Not to buy: What can I say? Last season was an off year.
To buy: Every show has off years.
Not to buy: Ok, I was trying to be nice. Last season sucked. Everyone knows it. You think it's a coincidence they're finally changing the setting of the show and bringing back a beloved character from the dead for the upcoming season? They're desperate to get fans back.
To buy: Sounds like you're giving up on the show.
Not to buy: No, not at all. I'll be there. I'm still a big fan of the show, and the trailer totally got me pumped up. Their strategy worked on me.
To buy: So you still love the show, and you're going to keep watching it. Plus, you already own the previous five seasons on DVD. How could you not get Season 6?
Not to buy: Did you miss the part where I mentioned that it sucked?
To buy: It wasn't all bad. I mean, it got off to a decent start. I particularly remember you being shocked when that bomb went off in LA.
Not to buy: I also remember feeling like I was the one that got shot when Jack took out Curtis. Ok, so the first four hours were good, but the rest was garbage.
To buy: That's not entirely true. Kiefer Sutherland did some of the best acting this year he's ever done on the show.
Not to buy: That's true. Peter MacNicol was great as Tom Lennox, and Powers Boothe was good as the VP temporarily turned P. Also, James Morrison and Jayne Atkinson were solid as Bill Buchanan and Karen Hayes. I even liked Rick Schroeder running around like a little mini-Jack for a while.
To buy: See, it wasn't all bad.
Not to buy: You're right — except for all the ludicrous stuff with Jack's family being behind everything, the neutering of the Chloe character and the abandonment of a bunch of key storylines.
To buy: Oh yeah.
Not to buy: Hey, maybe the DVD has a special feature that tells you whether Logan survived his stab wound or not.
To buy. Good point. Wait, you're sarcastically taking a shot at the show, aren't you?
Not to buy: Yes.
To buy: Well, what about the DVD cover? Have you seen it? It's glorious. It's basically saying that Jack Bauer is America. Are you anti-America?
Not to buy: Whoa, how did we get to me hating America? Besides, according to Chris Berman, Brett Favre is America.
To buy: Oh yeah. Well what about the fact that you're a completist. I KNOW it would bug you to have every season of "24" except one.
Not to buy: Damnit!
To buy: What?
Not to buy: Nothing, just felt like letting one of those out, since we're talking "24". Seriously though, you're right about me being a completist. Although, I DO only have Rush Hour 2, and I've stubbornly refused to have Die Hard 2 join the other three Die Hard movies in my collection.
To buy: Good point — but you know this would still bug you. Plus, it's "24"!
Not to buy: Yeah, you're right. Well what about the fact that I'm a bit low on cash because of Christmas shopping I've done and Christmas shopping I still have to do.
To buy: You've already bought the gifts for the women (your girlfriend and mom). The guys'll be easy and a lot less expensive.
Not to buy: True. But what about the fact that I've gotta dish out money for The Wire: Season 4, Lost: Season 3, The Bourne Ultimatum, Harry Potter 5 and other DVDs this month.
To buy: John, you own more than 700 DVDs. I don't think one more season of one of your favorites is going to kill you. Plus, you've already made space for it in your collection (pictured, right).
Not to buy: So what? That's not big deal. I did that in one minute so I could have a picture to go along with this article.
To buy: That's actually really dorky.
Not to buy: Yeah, I know.
To buy: Also, Kiefer Sutherland might come to your house these holidays and tackle you like you're a Christmas tree.
Not to buy: I wouldn't want that.
To buy: So what's it going to be?
Not to buy: I don't know. Why don't we wrap up this internal debate and solicit suggestions from one of your (two) readers?

So, what do you think? Ever bought anything that you didn't really care for that much? If so, why? More importantly, what about me? Any thoughts on what I should do?

No comments: