Saturday, September 19, 2009

NFL 2009 Week 2 picks

Not a bad start.

After week one, my two fantasy teams are on pace to go 28-0 and I went 14-2 with my picks. (I hope you’ll pardon the obnoxious gloating, but I have to get it in because we all know these things don’t last.)

On a related subject, here are my picks for week 2 (with the team I think will win in bold).

CAROLINA @ ATLANTA
Not a good week for Jake Delhomme (I think we have a winner for Understatement of the Year). However, I don’t think he’s quite THAT bad, and I think he’ll bounce back. I’m actually trying to convince an owner in one of my leagues to give him to me in exchange for Kerry Collins, and he just might do it given that Delhomme put up -11 points and singlehandedly cost him a win – against me.

So I like him to bounce back. I just don’t like him to bounce back this week.

MINNESOTA @ DETROIT
You know how Detroit got torched by Drew Brees through the air last week. Well this week, they’re going to deal with the running equivalent of Brees in Adrian Peterson.

CINCINNATI @ GREEN BAY
Green Bay didn’t even look that great and managed to take care of business against the Bears. Meanwhile, I’ll give the Bengals credit just for showing up at this game after last week’s epically disastrous loss.

HOUSTON @ TENNESSEE
Tennessee looked good in defeat last week. Houston – not so much.

OAKLAND @ KANSAS CITY
For the first time in a while, Oakland is not the most depressing team in a matchup involving the Raiders. I liked their feistiness on Monday night, while the Chiefs remain as depressing as they’ve been recently.

NEW ENGLAND @ N.Y. JETS
I’m not falling for this. People seem a little too excited about how good the Jets looked last week, and a little too down because of how shaky the Pats looked. I like Mark Sanchez a lot, but I’m betting Bill Belichik will have a hellacious scheme to confuse the rookie. Also, by the end of the second half, 2007 Brady was kinda back, no?

NEW ORLEANS @ PHILADELPHIA
One of the best games of the week and if Donovan McNabb were playing, I’d probably go with the Eagles. However, it’ll be a matchup between Drew Brees and Kevin Kolb, so pardon me for going with Brees.

ST. LOUIS @ WASHINGTON
Remember before how I said the Chiefs were depressing. The Rams are at least twice as depressing.

ARIZONA @ JACKSONVILLE
Arizona looked particularly old and slow last week. And by “Arizona,” I mostly mean Kurt Warner. I don’t like them traveling across country and trying to beat the Jags, even with Jacksonville’s underwhelming “home field advantage.” (You’ve probably heard they’re having a little trouble selling out their stadium.)

TAMPA BAY @ BUFFALO
Heart over head, I know.

SEATTLE @ SAN FRANCISCO
I suggest you jump on the 49ers bandwagon now because after they beat Seattle this week, I’m afraid there will be no more room for you.

PITTSBURGH @ CHICAGO
Applying the Delhomme logic, there’s just no way Jay Cutler can be as bad as he was last week two games in a row, right? (Oh crap, Delhomme went from historically awful to even worse himself. Nevermind.)

BALTIMORE @ SAN DIEGO
So, apparently, Baltimore can play offense now. Uh oh.

CLEVELAND @ DENVER
Sure, Cleveland has been almost as inept as Cincinnati recently, but I don’t think Denver will need a miracle 87-yard play to beat them, do you?

N.Y. GIANTS @ DALLAS
The game of the week comes with the Cowboys opening up their shiny, new, preposterously-scoreboarded stadium. Owner Jerry Jones is hoping to set an attendance record: most heading home in disappointment after the fierce Giants defense whoops a too-happy-with-themselves-for-torching-the-pathetic-Bucs Cowboys team.

INDIANAPOLIS @ MIAMI
Zzzz. Yikes, did Miami look bad last week. That said, I don’t think Indy’s blowing anybody out on the road, so it’ll be close before Indy wins in the end.

No comments: