Thursday, September 10, 2009

NFL Week 1 Thursday Night Pick

There’s just no time.

I didn’t have a chance to do an NFL preview this year. It’s not so much that I think you care (I KNOW you don’t) I just felt the need to apologize for robbing you of the chance to mercilessly mock my sure-to-be embarrassing predictions. (Here’s a crumb: the 49ers will make the playoffs.)

To make up for it, I’ve decided to continue my weekly picks column. I’ll also bring back the popular, (in my own mind) semi-regular “Conflict of Interest” column, since I’m rolling with two fantasy football teams again this year. Who knows? Maybe one day I’ll actually get around to writing my “District 9” review.

Below is my Thursday night football pick, which will be followed in the next day or two (maybe) by my thoughts on Week 1 of the NFL season. The team I believe will win is in bold.

TENNESSEE @ PITTSBURGH
It’s not so much because the Steelers are the defending Super Bowl champions, and they’re sure to be pumped up kicking off the regular season at home. I just don’t think Tennessee will be anywhere near as good as they were last year (no matter how much tequila LenDale White stopped drinking).

Pittsburgh wants to run the ball, and I think they’ll be able to since Tennessee lost DT and run-stopper extraordinaire Albert Haynesworth in the offseason. I also simply don’t see Kerry Collins holding up/playing well for another full season, coupled with the “these guys are NOT sneaking up on anyone anymore” factor.

No comments: