Saturday, September 26, 2009

NFL 2009 Week 3 Picks


After a stellar first week, I came back down to Earth during week 2, (10-6 week, 24-8 season) not unlike like the Dallas Cowboys.

Except that I still had a winning result.

Anyway, let’s get on to the week 3 picks.

WASHINGTON @ DETROIT
There seems to be a buzz in the air that this could be the week Detroit ends its historically-long losing streak. And why not? Washington looked terrible (but won) against a Rams team that might end up being worse than the Lions, and a Redskins backup linebacker insulted the fans via Twitter. On the other hand, Detroit has looked encouragingly-feisty against the Saints and Vikings in the first two weeks.

So why am I picking the Redskins? Because now there’s no way Washington (a superior team) will be caught by surprise. There’s also the little matter of Detroit not having won a game since 2007.

GREEN BAY @ ST. LOUIS
Yes, I know I just said the Rams may be worse than a team that hasn’t won in almost two years, but I kinda like them in their dome against a Packers team that may have the worst offensive line in the league.

SAN FRANCISCO @ MINNESOTA
Man, it’s getting crowded in this 49ers bandwagon. I feel like the thing is going to collapse under its own weight once they go on the road and beat the Vikings this weekend. (I’d feel a little better about Minnesota if their first two wins hadn’t come against Cleveland and Detroit – show me you can beat a good team first.)

ATLANTA @ NEW ENGLAND
There’s panic in New England. (What else is new?) Atlanta has looked VERY good in its first two games, but I still don’t trust that defense too much. What I do trust is Tom Brady and Co’s. ability to shred it on Sunday. I also think the patchwork Pats defense will rise to the occasion. (There’s also a 70% chance this is wishful thinking because both of my fantasy football opponents this week have multiple Falcons.)

TENNESSEE @ N.Y. JETS
This is an epic clash of “one team desperately needs this game” and “wow, this team could be wildly overconfident.” I’d usually go with the desperate team, but I think the Jets’ overconfidence is what fuels them. Also, they’re better.

KANSAS CITY @ PHILADELPHIA
Pretty much every important Eagles’ position player on offense is either doubtful or questionable – and they’ll still roll over the Chiefs. That’s how bad K.C. is.

N.Y GIANTS @ TAMPA BAY
Please don’t make me watch.

CLEVELAND @ BALTIMORE
If I knew any Browns fans, I’d guess their reaction would be similar to my thoughts on the Giants/Bucs game.

JACKSONVILLE @ HOUSTON
I’m done with you Jaguars. I wanted to believe you were good, but you’re not. Not even close.

NEW ORLEANS @ BUFFALO
There may be rain this weekend in Buffalo, so expect Drew Brees to be held to around 300 yards and 3 or 4 TDs.

CHICAGO @ SEATTLE
Nothing against Seneca Wallace (pictured, right), but seeing him under center HAS to bring back horrific memories from last year for Seahawks fans, no?

MIAMI @ SAN DIEGO
Miami impressed me with their performance on Monday Night Football – right up until the part where they chickened out, settled for a field goal and lost the game. I give them one more week.

PITTSBURGH @ CINCINNATI
The Bengals’ D has been surprisingly stingy and they’d be 2-0 if it weren’t for the flukey Brandon Stokley play. True story. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh may very well be 0-2 if, say, Tennessee had won the coin toss in overtime during week 1. True story.

DENVER @ OAKLAND
Denver’s defense has been amazing so far, but you don’t need an amazing defense to slow down JaMarcus “7 Completions last week” Russell. I mean, that’s what good quarterbacks complete in a single drive!

INDIANAPOLIS @ ARIZONA
Should be a shootout, but I’m not betting against Peyton Manning in prime time. Are you?

CAROLINA @ DALLAS
As glorious as it would be, I just don’t see the Cowboys losing the first two games in their luxurious new stadium, especially not with the second being on Monday Night Football.

No comments: