Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dancing with the Stars: Ready to Rumba (and Tango)

Doesn’t this seem like a particularly innovative season of “Dancing with the Stars”?

Between the celebaquarium, the new graphics and the weekly format changes — last week it was Story Time, this week the couples were judged separately on technical and performance merit — the show seems to be pulling out all the stops to grab viewers in its 10th season. (Maybe next week the celebrities will choreograph the routines!)

And it’s working — the show recently passed “American Idol” to claim the top spot in the ratings! I’m just not sure that’s due to all the changes. I think people are just tuning to see just how horrible Kate Gosselin is going to dance every week. (I suspect they were slightly disappointed last night.)

Anyway, the here’s how the couples did in their (non-Argentine) tangos and rumbas (which requires the women to wear artfully-draped bed sheets as costumes), in order of appearance.

Erin Andrews & Maksim: I thought the technique in Erin’s tango was MUCH better than judges gave her credit for, but I’ll agree that the performance part of it was a bit lacking. She came out looking pissed off, but seemed to come in and out of character. It seems like the judges are liking her less and less these past few weeks, which is when I’ve warmed up to her. Go figure.

Evan Lysacek & Anna: Evan’s tango landed him atop the leader board for the second week in a row, but I’m still not 100% on board with him as a dancer (despite the fact that I picked him to win as soon as I heard he was in the cast). His footwork was much better this week and his “catlike arrogance” was a step in the right direction toward looking like a more powerful and masculine dancer. I wish I knew why I don’t love watching this guy dance.

Niecey Nash & Louis: Whereas I’m enjoying Erin a little more every week, I’m enjoying Niecy a little less. Niecy and Louis are still great in rehearsals (he looked as disgusted as I did with that dirty, cluttered house), but basing every one of her dances around a Very Important Theme is getting to be exhausting. Last night, we saw Louis forgo the traditional sexy rumba (it IS the bedroom dance) and opt for a tribute to Niecy’s late brother. I could actually stand this heavy handedness if Niecy also weren’t regressing as a technical dancer.

Aiden Turner & Edyta: I’d pick him to go home, but I’m betting his decision to go shirtless on that boat earned him another week over Jake Pavelka. As for his rumba, it really WAS too herky jerky and I actually knew was Bruno was talking about (for a change) when he compared him to a Ray Harryhausen character. Who knew Bruno was a stop-motion animation buff? I wonder what he thinks of the new “Clash of the Titans.”

Nicole Scherzinger & Derek: This week’s drummed-up “Nicole struggles during rehearsal” storyline involved her not being able to take Derek seriously as a love object. Do we even need to see rehearsal footage of Nicole? We know she’s awesome and we know she doesn’t ever REALLY struggle, so what’s the point? (Other than introducing Derek’s “love hand” — triple ick!) Though I thought her rumba was exquisite, I understand and appreciate that the judges have to be much harder on her (even if I didn’t get Carrie Ann’s critique about exaggerated arm movements). I also didn’t quite get why she was so nervous AFTER the dance.

Jake Pavelka & Chelsie: Where can I get one of those “Turn up, keep up, shut up” T-shirts Jake was sporting? Also, why does Chelsie STILL have J-Woww hair in rehearsal? (At least it’s magically gone when she performs.) Jake’s tango was enthusiastic but kind of blah until he pulled off a sorta spectacular and smooth tango move up and down the dance floor steps. Unfortunately, Jake apparently realized how awesome that move was because it looks like he got over confident, tripped a few times and generally went off the rails right in front of the judges’ table. Too bad.

Kate Gosselin & Tony: Those teases throughout the night didn’t make Kate’s segment any less annoying. Maybe less whining and more time actually rehearsing each dance might help. I get that she’s going through a tough time now, but instead of maybe losing herself in this fun, ludicrous show, she’s bringing the entire thing down with her self-loathing drama. (You’re letting “him” win, Kate.) We also learned that each morning she reads the press to see what hell she’s going to go through that day. (God forbid she’s not in one of the papers or Web sites she frequents!) Oh yeah, the tango. In keeping with the backhanded comments she got from the judges, I’ll say it was, by far, her least horrible performance and that my soul was only mildly crushed watching it.

Chad Ochocinco & Cheryl (pictured, left): I have a feeling the mesmerizing brown and salmon color palette had a lot to do with it, but I REALLY enjoyed their rumba. Though Chad was a little stiff in the beginning, he delivered his best dance of the season and, more importantly, forged a believable and compelling connection with Cheryl. (It was MUCH more believable than the showmance, now featuring a truly garish ring, the producers keep shoving down our throats.) Bonus points for being one of the few celebs to bring a decent amount of hip action to the rumba.

Pamela Anderson & Damien: After the first week, I figured Pamela Anderson would be an amusing crowd favorite, garner buzz and get kicked out by week 4 or 5. However, I’m impressed by the fact that Pamela is REALLY working at her dancing. And it’s paying off! At first, I thought Damien’s rumba could’ve been more challenging, but it’s probably a good idea to take a “less is more” approach with Pamela. (Especially when it would’ve been so east to go over-the-top in the bedroom dance.) I could conceivably see Pamela joining Evan and Nicole in the final 3.

So what’d you think of this episode? Why did it take so long for this show to incorporate instant replay? What advice would YOU have for Len? (He likes to dish it out so I wonder if he can take it.) Finally, who do you think is going home? (I think Jake will be sent packing.)

No comments: