Saturday, April 24, 2010

Project Runway: Finale Decision

Once the “Project Runway” season-ender actually got started – following the 15-minute commercial for Garnier Fructis and L’Oreal – I actually thought it was the strongest finale in recent memory.

There was no challenge to introduce, no field trip to Mood, and workroom bitchery. Other than an alarmingly shirtless (to my girlfriend Erica) shot of Seth Aaron (which may or may not have included butt crack), it was all business.

(Of course, the show couldn’t help but trump up some missing-model drama before the big show, but even that was resolved fairly quickly – it’s why you have alternates.)

Seth Aaron showed introduced his collection – inspired by 1940’s German and Russian military fashion - first with his barely-contained spaz energy. (I love that his kids dress conservatively as a way to rebel against their wild dad.) I thought his collection was FANTASTIC. It was undeniably Seth Aaron, but with a stronger editing eye and more elegance to it. He managed to do both those things without really sacrificing his flair for the dramatic, and he put on a great show. As a civilian, when I imagine going to fashion show, I imagine seeing crazy s--- like the stuff Seth Aaron was sending down the runway. (Except maybe for the bootylicious purple outfit – that was too much.)

Mila was up next with her shadow-inspired collection, and she basically did what she does REALLY well – black and white, mod-inspired color blocking (with a dash of purple leggings). Casting edgy models and giving them a punk-rocker makeover helped her 60’s collection tremendously. However, Mila (who had beaten out Jay for the final slot in the finale) simply had “third place” written all over her from the start.

Emilio rounded things out with his “Color Me Bad” (but not “Color Me Badd”) fashion LINE (Right, Nina?) I REALLY liked the way his line tied together from piece to piece. It was clear and cohesive, but not in an obvious way. Well, it ALMOST worked perfectly, since that gold evening dress seemed to come out of nowhere at the end. Fortunately, that was the best piece in his collection.

Nina and Michael chided Emilio for not going for enough of a wow factor and for designing a more business-like fashion “line” instead of a “collection” for a show. I’m not smart enough to completely understand the difference, but I kind of get it. To be honest, I’d be more outraged on Emilio’s behalf if I’d liked the guy during the course of the show. (Still, seeing the man’s shock and tears over losing was disheartening.)

I’d also be more outraged if Seth Aaron hadn’t been a completely deserving of the win. Watching him celebrate with his adorable family was satisfying, as was his victory. (I may or may not have yelled “YES!” when he won, and pumped my fist.) Overall, Seth Aaron, Emilion and Mila all acquitted themselves quite nicely and delivered the most competitive finale I can remember.

The “Project Runway” season finale was followed by a half-hour reunion show, which absolutely delighted me. I loved the old-school reunion shows, and I honestly would’ve watched an hour of this thing. I was wondering if they would hand out a fan-favorite award, but they didn’t because, I suppose, the thing would’ve OBVIOUSLY gone to Anthony, eliminating any sense of drama. (They should probably rename that thing, “The Anthony Award.”)

Unfortunately, since the thing was only 30 minutes, the show decided to focus almost exclusively on a mean-spirited airing of grievances. (I understand the decision, but an hour-long show would’ve likely given us time for a lighthearted segment or two.) Ping (now shockingly blond) cried about being berated by Jesse, Emilio tried to explain why he dumped model Holly after she saved his ass following the metal bikini fiasco (I still don’t understand his convoluted explanation!) and Jay Nicolas committed career suicide.

The show replayed the segment in which model Cerri expressed that Jay Nicolas’ sun-drenched, colorful style was not for her at all. Jay Nicolas decided to strike back by saying that he’d never hire a model with “bad teeth and thick legs.” The statement was so shocking that you could hear a pin drop in that studio. In fact, the only sound that could be heard was me saying, “Oh my god!”

I understand that Jay was offended at the shots Cerri was taking at his work, but to attack her personally like that showed an alarming amount of vileness and immaturity. On the bright side, I now understand why Mila hated Jay so much.

So what’d you think of this episode? Did the right person win? Has anyone ever said anything meaner on this show than Jay Nicolas’ comment about Cerri? Was that reaction shot during the finale not so Raven? Finally, why Faith Hill, of all people, as a finale guest judge?

Thanks for reading along this season!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Don't worry, you aren't the only one that yelled "YES!" and fist-pumped when Seth Aaron won! He was my favorite all season!