Thursday, April 15, 2010

Project Runway: Circus Atmosphere

I know I’m late to the “Project Runway” party this week.

(I’m also late to “The Celebrity Apprentice” party, and the “Lost” party this week, but I promise I’ll get those recaps up…sometime in the near future.)

Since everything that’s worth saying about the latest episode of “Project Runway” has already been said, I’ll just give you my quick hit thoughts on “The Big, Top Designers.”

- When I first heard about this week’s circus-themed episode — the challenge was to create a high-end look inspired by the circus — I naturally assumed the designers would be visiting Cirque du Soleil. (It seemed like an artsy match made in fashion heaven.)

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see them, instead, visit the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus. I don’t know why, but I like to imagine the Ringling Bros./Barnum & Bailey people are bitter about the fact that Cirque du Soleil has gotten most of the buzz over the past decade. It was nice to see an old-school circus get some love.

-I think Mila broke Simon Cowell’s unofficial eye roll record this week listening to Emilio boast about how great he is, and how he’s there solely to win “Project Runway.”

- In a related story, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed Mila more.

- I’m thinking Jay Nicolas may have bothered to design more than that Michael Jackson jacket (chmon!) this week if he hadn’t been ogling the shirtless circus performers during their private performances for the designers. Other than the jacket, the dude did black pants, and a black tank top. I would’ve bet money he was going home.

- Is Anthony every in a bad mood? Does anything get that guy down? Even his despair is funny.

- Have you tried to work the word “viscera” into a conversation yet?

- It was clearly Anthony’s time to go (again!) He just doesn’t have the chops to crack the top 3/4. That being said, Michael Kors’ “big blue condom” comment was harsh and not even really accurate. (I’m a big fan of his quips, but he was reaching this week.)

- Say what you will about Mila (who’s been trending downward the past few weeks), but if you were to line up all the designers’ work this season without telling me who designed what, I’d have the easiest time picking out Mila’s.

- I’d have the second easiest time picking out Seth Aaron’s. I thought the wild circus challenge was perfectly suited to his talents and he didn’t really disappoint. (Unfortunately, he didn’t exactly wow either.)

- Emilio picked up what felt like his 15th consecutive win. It didn’t come easy though. After initially dismissing Tim’s advice that his black and white dress was a bit “blah” for a circus challenge, Emilio smartly added more than a dash of color and pushed his look to the next level.

- Maybe it’s because Emilio is an ass and I don’t like him too much, but I didn’t really get all the love for his dress. (Best look of the season? Really?!)

- That being said, I respect him for telling the truth by saying a final with him Seth Aaron and Mila would be the most competitive/fitting/deserving. (Because it’s the truth.)

- Do we still have any idea why Jay Nicolas dislikes Mila so much?

- Wasn’t it weird seeing Michael Kors actually get up and walk around during judging?

So what’d you think of this episode? Who do you think will grab the third spot at Bryant Park? (I would’ve had no problem with Jay Nicolas being eliminated last night, so you know how I feel.) Finally, who are you rooting for in the final? (I would’ve never imagined saying this at the start of the season, but “Go Seth Aaron!”)

No comments: